Wanderlei

Mag-aaral (Student)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Nationality:Filipino
  • Group Affiliation(s):Sayoc Kali, Lanka Silat International

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:55 PM

Pardon these lengthy questions.  I've been doing a personal reasearch on Tenaga Dalam but I seem to be halted by a language barrier.  The articles I see are 99% Indonesian.  would any of you care to enlighten me about the following questions:

1)  How is the concept of Tenaga Dalam related to chi and ki on the perspective of the Indonesian Culture?
2)  I've seen this excessively in kalimasada and seni silat?  would any of you care to talk mora bout it?
3)  would any of you be kind enough to tell us more about Ilmu tenaga Dalam?
4)  Do arts that incorporate the use of tenaga dalam in their curriculum have a counterpart in the Philippines?
5)  Is there a Filipino term for Tenaga Dalam?

Salamat po!

#2 drgnstyx

drgnstyx

Mandirigma (Warrior)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Nationality:pinoy

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:58 PM

Try inquiring with the tetada kalimasada group  here bro, hope this helps...

#3 dyak_stone

dyak_stone

Mandirigma (Warrior)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Nationality:Filipino
  • Group Affiliation(s):Kali Arnis Martial Arts Organization (KAMAO)

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:55 PM

Kalimasada previously discussed here.

Tenaga dalam, from what I remember, translates to inner energy (tenaga = energy, dalam = internal, if I'm not mistaken).

In Kalimasada, tenaga dalam is quite similar to chi. They are concentrated on the 7 major chakra (based on the Hindu chakra system?).

The entry level (perdana) of Kalimasada entailed a lot of breathing excercises combined with jurus/movements designed to cultivate raw tenaga dalam. My Kalimasada guru likened this to calisthenics in order to get raw strength. This is said to strengthen the immune system and the body's organs. Then as the practitioner progressed, other exercises are done in order to refine the tenaga dalam, akin to doing more plyometric and coordination exercises in order to make the strength more controllable. This is said to give the practitioner more control over one's tenaga dalam for those more supernatural abilities.

Kalimasada is not a martial art, it is a modern system synthesized by Bapak Eddy Surohadi and Ibu Ida Surohadi for inner energy cultivation. But it has it's roots in Indonesia's martial arts.

Disclaimer: it's been five years since I trained in Kalimasada , and all I reached was the end of the perdana level, so what I typed above may be inaccurate, but it is to the best of my recollection.

With regards to Filipino internal arts, I am of the opinion that the anting-anting and orasyon are our answer to this.

#4 RedBagani

RedBagani

Dalubhasang Guro (Expert Teacher)

• FMAPG Organizer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Nationality:Flipino
  • Group Affiliation(s):Certified Marital Art Flip

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:58 AM

QUOTE (Wanderlei @ Jul 2 2007, 03:55 PM)
Is there a Filipino term for Tenaga Dalam?

You mean feats of "Tenaga Dalam" such as jumping from trees, eating razor blades, breaking with the head, etc? I had a discussion about these with a non-martial artist and he said we Filipinos also have a counterpart. Just look at what bored stambys do to pass the time, he said. It's called LAKAS NG LOOB.

This term sounds funny in Pilipino. Although it translates also as Inner Strength, the meaning is more akin to  "foolhardiness".

Seriously speaking, Tenaga Dalam is not just an Indonesian thing. Unless Indonesians are from outer space and don't share the same genes as the rest ofmankind, all races have Tenaga Dalam called by different terms.
May all beings, human & non-human, visible & invisible, be happy, peaceful & liberated!