Baguhan (Newbie)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Nationality:Filipino
  • Group Affiliation(s):Kali Arnis International

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:02 AM

greetings!

i am currently recovering from knee surgery due to a fractured patella (broken knee) and will be walking with a cane for the next 6 months or so.  

My first question is, where can i buy a rattan walking cane that i can use for walking and also for self defense.  The cane i currently use is the aluminum folding type.  it's good for walking but very unwieldy when i try to practice self defense moves.  if there is a store/shop in marikina that would great since that is where i live.

Second question is, do you have any suggestions for online video tutorials teaching practical self defense techniques.  I have found two which seem to be useful ones but i am not sure.  these are the links:

from choson ninja
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5E5Ucm2Ilk&NR=1

from hapkido style
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRD9_Jc2OOY...feature=related

any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

d

#2 Sitbatan

Sitbatan

Dalubhasang Guro (Expert Teacher)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,664 posts
  • Nationality:Fil-Am
  • Group Affiliation(s):Filipino Fighting Arts International

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:17 AM

try the local furniture shop or rattan depot... should be about p50.

as for learning FMA from Koreans.... it's like learning to cook mom's adobo from a pro Korean chef.... maybe you should try to contact a local FMA instructor and learn the native style of cooking.

Peace
Kilat
It is reported that a man came to the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) and asked, "O Messenger of Allah! What should I do if someone comes to me with the intention of taking my property?'' He replied, "Do not hand it over to him.'' The man further asked, "What should I do if he fights me?'' The Messenger of Allah answered , "Then fight him.'' "What would be my position in the Hereafter if he killed me?'' The Messenger of Allah replied, "In that case you are a martyr.'' The man asked: "What if I killed him?'' The Messenger of Allah replied, He will be in the Hell-fire. (Reported by Muslim)
http://sitbatan.blogspot.com/

#3 torqui

torqui

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • Group Affiliation(s):Kalis Ilustrisimo Headquarters, Kalis Ilustrisimo Quezon City

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE (Kilat Serrada @ Mar 14 2010, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

as for learning FMA from Koreans.... it's like learning to cook mom's adobo from a pro Korean chef.... maybe you should try to contact a local FMA instructor and learn the native style of cooking.

Peace
Kilat

Yeah. The local rattan furniture shops would be able to help you. They can shape it into a cane by heating it just as they do to shape it into furniture.

As for the Koreans, I believe Hapkido really does have its own cane techniques in its curriculum that was not borrowed from FMA. They seem to be pretty practical.

I have my doubts about that choson ninja guy.

And there's always FMA. I guess the particular FMA you would be interested in would be generically called "tinungkod".

#4 destudioanima

destudioanima

Baguhan (Newbie)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:30 AM

QUOTE (torqui @ Mar 14 2010, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Peace
Kilat

Yeah. The local rattan furniture shops would be able to help you. They can shape it into a cane by heating it just as they do to shape it into furniture.

As for the Koreans, I believe Hapkido really does have its own cane techniques in its curriculum that was not borrowed from FMA. They seem to be pretty practical.

And there's always FMA. I guess the particular FMA you would be interested in would be generically called "tinungkod".

Thanks for the suggestions!  This "Tinungkod" is very interesting.  As soon as I'm a lot more mobile (the doctor does not allow me to drive yet), I will visit GM Vic Sanchez and ask more about it.   Maraming Salamat uli!

#5 Matawguro

Matawguro

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • Group Affiliation(s):FMA Forum

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE (destudioanima @ Mar 14 2010, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Second question is, do you have any suggestions for online video tutorials teaching practical self defense techniques.  I have found two which seem to be useful ones but i am not sure.  these are the links:

from choson ninja

from hapkido style

My beef with those vids, especially the second one, is that if you're capable of executing those techniques, you don't need a cane to walk.

The old FMA masters really know what cane techniques work for people whose knees aren't what they used to be. Last I saw Vic Sanchez, he wasn't walking with a cane, but I agree he has a lot to teach you.
Robbie Trinidad
FMA Forum Administrator
Quezon City, Philippines

#6 Raul

Raul

Calamondin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts
  • Nationality:Carambola
  • Group Affiliation(s):Kombat KungFu Klan

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE (destudioanima @ Mar 14 2010, 01:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
greetings!

i am currently recovering from knee surgery due to a fractured patella (broken knee) and will be walking with a cane for the next 6 months or so.  

My first question is, where can i buy a rattan walking cane that i can use for walking and also for self defense.  The cane i currently use is the aluminum folding type.  it's good for walking but very unwieldy when i try to practice self defense moves.  if there is a store/shop in marikina that would great since that is where i live.

from choson ninja

from hapkido style

any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

d
The hapkido clip is good for ordinary people without handicap.
I can't finish choson ninja's video.. may the enlightened mystical master sargeant sensei forgives him.
Your Acts reveal What You Know and Who You are, all three are one and the same.

Klasikali on Facebook

#7 destudioanima

destudioanima

Baguhan (Newbie)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:51 AM

Does anyone know if there are martial arts stores that have rattan canes specifically for fighting /self defense.  The public markets have very skinny rattan (less than 2 cm dia.) and very crooked.  Not good for walking at all.  Can't locate any rattan furniture shops in Marikina.

Something like this;

http://superiormartialarts.com/images2/50502.jpg

or this

http://www.black-bear-haversack.com/images...lking_Canes.jpg

This last one looks great actually.

#8 Warrior In Scrubs

Warrior In Scrubs

Mandirigma (Warrior)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Nationality:Ilonggo
  • Group Affiliation(s):Lifetime Beginners

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:11 AM

QUOTE (destudioanima @ Mar 17 2010, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone know if there are martial arts stores that have rattan canes specifically for fighting /self defense.  The public markets have very skinny rattan (less than 2 cm dia.) and very crooked.  Not good for walking at all.  Can't locate any rattan furniture shops in Marikina.

Something like this;

or this

Sir, I still haven't seen a nicely made rattan walking cane in Quiapo--even when I visited last February.

But I believe you can find beautiful walking canes made of kamagong under the Quiapo bridge (furniture and souvenir shops). Price ranges from P450 to P600 a piece. The more rich-looking you are, the more expensive the canes will be. biggrin.gif

Those furniture and souvenir shops under the bridge also sell rattan walking canes, but they don't look exceptionally nice. It all depends on how you look at them though.

#9 Raymund Suba

Raymund Suba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Group Affiliation(s):Kamao Arnis

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:35 AM

There are some rattan canes on the second floor of the Marikina public market's dry goods section. Although from what I've seen they sell mostly costume canes that children use for plays. I haven't been there in a while so the quality may have changed, still these are cheap walking canes that you can use and abuse (may not be good for walking).

I personally use a bahi stick for hiking. I occasionally use it when I have a sprain or something. It's just a straight stick and it can bruise your hand if you have to lean on it with a significant amount of weight.
I make protective leather gloves

"The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."
Plato

#10 destudioanima

destudioanima

Baguhan (Newbie)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (Warrior In Scrubs @ Mar 17 2010, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (destudioanima @ Mar 17 2010, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Something like this;

or this

Sir, I still haven't seen a nicely made rattan walking cane in Quiapo--even when I visited last February.

But I believe you can find beautiful walking canes made of kamagong under the Quiapo bridge (furniture and souvenir shops). Price ranges from P450 to P600 a piece. The more rich-looking you are, the more expensive the canes will be. biggrin.gif

Those furniture and souvenir shops under the bridge also sell rattan walking canes, but they don't look exceptionally nice. It all depends on how you look at them though.

Yes, Quiapo does seem to be the place to go to.  Unfortunately a bit too far for me due to my mobility problem.  But I will definitely check it out as soon as my knee improves.  Salamat!

#11 destudioanima

destudioanima

Baguhan (Newbie)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE (Raymund Suba @ Mar 17 2010, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are some rattan canes on the second floor of the Marikina public market's dry goods section. Although from what I've seen they sell mostly costume canes that children use for plays. I haven't been there in a while so the quality may have changed, still these are cheap walking canes that you can use and abuse (may not be good for walking).

I personally use a bahi stick for hiking. I occasionally use it when I have a sprain or something. It's just a straight stick and it can bruise your hand if you have to lean on it with a significant amount of weight.

I was actually able to get a rattan cane from the Marikina market.  Only P40 per piece.  Unfortunately I got what I paid for.  It warps when I put some weight on it.  It's good for practice though.  The split second groin shot is a snap due to its very light weight!  Another down side is that it really looks like an ugly stick with a hook.  I need something more presentable so that bank and mall security guards would still let me enter their buildings.

*  By the way, I love your stuff (the swords and protective gear).  Astig!

#12 Warrior In Scrubs

Warrior In Scrubs

Mandirigma (Warrior)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:18 AM

Off-topic, but a hiking pole would also be nice--and would definitely have scary results if used in an SD situation (let's just hope you won't have to use it though, hehe). biggrin.gif

#13 kabayo

kabayo

magnanakaw ng panty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,451 posts
  • Interests:girls,food,girls,food
  • Nationality:chinoy
  • Group Affiliation(s):UGL

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:29 PM

you do not have to be disabled to use a cane. it was a sign of being a gentleman years past...now the konyos just show their iPhone.

i have a knurled rattan cane. i wonder where it is right now,too much in a hurry to leave the country then. i also formulated a fighting form for the said cane, the difference being that the cane is held by two hands.

i was told that our late GM made a form specially for an amputee member of ours long ago,i wonder what it looked like. i think it used the crutch instead of the cane

yihaaaaa! tigidig!!!!!!! tigidig!!!!!!

makuha ka sa tingin....

#14 Raymund Suba

Raymund Suba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE (destudioanima @ Mar 17 2010, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Raymund Suba @ Mar 17 2010, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was actually able to get a rattan cane from the Marikina market.  Only P40 per piece.  Unfortunately I got what I paid for.  It warps when I put some weight on it.  It's good for practice though.  The split second groin shot is a snap due to its very light weight!  Another down side is that it really looks like an ugly stick with a hook.  I need something more presentable so that bank and mall security guards would still let me enter their buildings.

*  By the way, I love your stuff (the swords and protective gear).  Astig!

Thanks for the compliments about the gear. A lot of work went into that.

Back on topic. I also made a eh... pimp cane a while back. I used stainless steel for the ball and metal shaft. Looks like a very rough version of this:
http://getcostumes.ca/prodimage/Gold_Nugge...Astn06-96863E6D

I just had bits of mine made around town (lots of welding shops around marikina). I put the stick and the ball together. Weight of the steel ball makes for a good weapon, the balance is a bit different as the metal is definitely heavier than the wood.

If you want something more bling-like you can use one of those chinese stainless steel balls that have a bell inside them. Makes for a funny sounding cane.

If you want the ball to be really heavy duty, You can get 1 1/2 inch ball bearings- the dang things were designed to be under hundreds of pounds of pressure so your pretty sure it won't break- turns black due to oxidation though.

Plato

#15 kabayo

kabayo

magnanakaw ng panty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,451 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:54 PM

pucha...kay snoop dogg yan a

makuha ka sa tingin....

#16 nosyac

nosyac

All Filipino BLADE Society

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,971 posts
  • Interests:Computers...
  • Nationality:Cebuano (Filipino)
  • Group Affiliation(s):Filipino Metal Alchemist (FMA)

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (Warrior In Scrubs @ Mar 17 2010, 06:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Off-topic, but a hiking pole would also be nice--and would definitely have scary results if used in an SD situation (let's just hope you won't have to use it though, hehe). biggrin.gif
walking pole

This is a trend nowadays here.  I've seen people using this while walking [exercising].  Some they have two... in fact, it's a good idea for people Who work during the days and w"walkercise" during the night.  Serves its purpose...

#17 kabayo

kabayo

magnanakaw ng panty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,451 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:41 AM

i even arranged a tripod form lately. have to modernize. at the end of the form,i take a picture

makuha ka sa tingin....

#18 Warrior In Scrubs

Warrior In Scrubs

Mandirigma (Warrior)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:34 AM

QUOTE (nosyac @ Mar 18 2010, 03:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
walking pole

This is a trend nowadays here.  I've seen people using this while walking [exercising].  Some they have two... in fact, it's a good idea for people Who work during the days and w"walkercise" during the night.  Serves its purpose...

Has anyone here without mobility problems ever travelled thru plane with this?

Would the airport guards/authorities require one to include it in the check-in baggage?

#19 Talibung Antikenyo

Talibung Antikenyo

Mag-aaral (Student)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Group Affiliation(s):"Karay-a Uno-Blanco Eskrima"

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE (torqui @ Mar 14 2010, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Peace
Kilat

Send him over here to Iloilo Torq we can teach him the "Minal-am nga Tinungkod" of "Karay-a Uno Blanco Eskrima" using a rattan walking stick with curved handle or whatever :-) Warrior in Scrubs can help him am sure:-)

#20 Warrior In Scrubs

Warrior In Scrubs

Mandirigma (Warrior)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE (Talibung Antikenyo @ Apr 18 2010, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (torqui @ Mar 14 2010, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Peace
Kilat

Send him over here to Iloilo Torq we can teach him the "Minal-am nga Tinungkod" of "Karay-a Uno Blanco Eskrima" using a rattan walking stick with curved handle or whatever :-) Warrior in Scrubs can help him am sure:-)

Hehe. If Sir DeStudioAnima visits Iloilo City, I can be very useful in the event he will have difficulties with his ambulation--ako ang aalalay at magdadala ng kanyang mga bagahe. biggrin.gif

#21 Raul

Raul

Calamondin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts
  • Nationality:Carambola
  • Group Affiliation(s):Kombat KungFu Klan

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE (nosyac @ Mar 17 2010, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
walking pole

True. I also seen big guys sporting two canes. They were so menacing that cops would probably be alarmed when they see them.

Your Acts reveal What You Know and Who You are, all three are one and the same.

Klasikali on Facebook

#22 Warrior In Scrubs

Warrior In Scrubs

Mandirigma (Warrior)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE (Raul @ Apr 18 2010, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (nosyac @ Mar 17 2010, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
walking pole

True. I also seen big guys sporting two canes. They were so menacing that cops would probably be alarmed when they see them.

The cheapest hiking poles cost P1,500 here. High-end ones would be around P6,500-P8,000 (and probably even more). I'd be happy to take the cheapest kind in my late-night walks around the village to buy electronic load/credits for my phone. biggrin.gif

#23 Raymund Suba

Raymund Suba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE (Warrior In Scrubs @ Mar 18 2010, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (nosyac @ Mar 18 2010, 03:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
walking pole

Has anyone here without mobility problems ever travelled thru plane with this?

Would the airport guards/authorities require one to include it in the check-in baggage?

When I travel with my hiking bahi stick, they typically require me to put it in check-in luggage. These are the times I don't even act like I need it. I walk normally and carry a 3 foot length of bahi with me.  Just don't make a fuss about it. And don't try to sneak it in, this makes you more suspicious and they'd ask you to walk go all the way back to  the check in counter to check it in again. (I absentmindedly forgot to check it in at the Davao airport and they were nice enough to ask me to check it in. Good thing we were there early and it wasn't such a hassle, but I imagine it would've been worse had we been late)

One time when I actually had a sprain of some kind and I was using two kamagong walking sticks (bought from palawan). We went to Macau and they didn't require that I put it in Check-in luggage. They do require you to put them through the x-ray machines though, so you have to actually be without it for a few moments.

So, you either check it in, have an actual disability, or act your little heart out.

Plato

#24 AK-47

AK-47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts
  • Interests:Junglecraft.
  • Group Affiliation(s):BAGUAZHANG

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:53 AM

Not really rattan but what about those polish walking canes from the Carpathian mountains laugh.gif :? http://www.polandbymail.com/get_list_233.htm
If you hold the handle the axe part won't be noticed, and if you plant it in the ground the spike part will be hidden.
I have come across many many secrets in martial arts over the years.  They are all very different but they all have one major thing in common.  They are all very very simple.  The only real secret is that you have to practise your secret every day before it delivers the results.

#25 StepanDarus223

StepanDarus223

Usisero (Bystander)

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Group Affiliation(s):sacsa

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:26 AM

- :)