LuckyMike

Dalubhasa (Expert)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Nationality:Philippines
  • Group Affiliation(s):AF&AM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:49 AM

Hi there. I just wanna ask if anyone owns a Suzuki Multicab. Is it fairly easy to maintain? I'm actually toying on the idea of getting myself one of these Tonka types.

#2 torqui

torqui

Dalubhasang Guro (Expert Teacher)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • Nationality:Filipino
  • Group Affiliation(s):Kalis Ilustrisimo Headquarters, Kalis Ilustrisimo Quezon City

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (LuckyMike @ Jun 17 2011, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi there. I just wanna ask if anyone owns a Suzuki Multicab. Is it fairly easy to maintain? I'm actually toying on the idea of getting myself one of these Tonka types.

I don't own one but I've heard they're pretty simple vehicles to maintain. Since there are lots of them around, that would suggest that parts are easy to come by. Very low fuel consumption too. I don't think airconditioning  and radios are standard though.

The multicab is that little van right? If you're planning to use it on rough roads sometimes, I don't know if it will survive because I'm just not sure if those little vans have actual ladder-frame chassis or are just unibodies. But not having a unibody design affords you much more space. Plus the multicab (van) can carry much more people and cargo without fear of getting wet in the rain. But for sure I know that the pickup and 4x4 pickup versions of those do have ladder-frame chassis and so are much more durable. But having a ladder-frame chassis and being pickups gives you less space for cargo or people.

On the suzujki multicab (van), the battery is inside I think so theft is less of an issue. On the pickup versions, however, I believe the battery is mounted outside and so has to be secured with a lock of some sort otherwise it might get stolen.

Alternatives to the Suzuki Multicab/Supercarry van I've seen locally (Philippines) are the Mitsubishi Minicab and the Daihatsu Hijet.

#3 LuckyMike

LuckyMike

Dalubhasa (Expert)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:30 AM

QUOTE (torqui @ Jun 17 2011, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't own one but I've heard they're pretty simple vehicles to maintain. Since there are lots of them around, that would suggest that parts are easy to come by. Very low fuel consumption too. I don't think airconditioning  and radios are standard though.

The multicab is that little van right? If you're planning to use it on rough roads sometimes, I don't know if it will survive because I'm just not sure if those little vans have actual ladder-frame chassis or are just unibodies. But not having a unibody design affords you much more space. Plus the multicab (van) can carry much more people and cargo without fear of getting wet in the rain. But for sure I know that the pickup and 4x4 pickup versions of those do have ladder-frame chassis and so are much more durable. But having a ladder-frame chassis and being pickups gives you less space for cargo or people.

On the suzujki multicab (van), the battery is inside I think so theft is less of an issue. On the pickup versions, however, I believe the battery is mounted outside and so has to be secured with a lock of some sort otherwise it might get stolen.

Alternatives to the Suzuki Multicab/Supercarry van I've seen locally (Philippines) are the Mitsubishi Minicab and the Daihatsu Hijet.

I might just consider the mini truck 4x4 type so i can have extra bed for cargo. Thanks for the response. I shall take note of your insights. Mabuhay.

#4 torqui

torqui

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • Group Affiliation(s):Kalis Ilustrisimo Headquarters, Kalis Ilustrisimo Quezon City

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:52 AM

QUOTE (LuckyMike @ Jun 18 2011, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I might just consider the mini truck 4x4 type so i can have extra bed for cargo. Thanks for the response. I shall take note of your insights. Mabuhay.

Here's a 4x4 minitruck that is truly multipurpose. The rear design suggests it has bench seats like a jeepney to carry people but can be folded away to carry cargo. It seems to have a removable hardtop with rear doors over the rear bed which protects rear passengers and cargo from rain and theft. Removing the hardtop and dropping the sides of the cargo bed gives a full open bed truck if you need.

#5 Aya Yuson

Aya Yuson

Mag-aaral (Student)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Group Affiliation(s):Bugei

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:27 AM

Tanging car salesman ka na ba, brad? :-p

#6 LuckyMike

LuckyMike

Dalubhasa (Expert)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (torqui @ Jun 18 2011, 05:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's a 4x4 minitruck that is truly multipurpose. The rear design suggests it has bench seats like a jeepney to carry people but can be folded away to carry cargo. It seems to have a removable hardtop with rear doors over the rear bed which protects rear passengers and cargo from rain and theft. Removing the hardtop and dropping the sides of the cargo bed gives a full open bed truck if you need.

Wow I didn't know that the hard shell is removable. I think that makes it even more interesting because I was actually sort of confused which one to choose between the open or closed truck.

#7 torqui

torqui

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (LuckyMike @ Jun 18 2011, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (torqui @ Jun 18 2011, 05:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow I didn't know that the hard shell is removable. I think that makes it even more interesting because I was actually sort of confused which one to choose between the open or closed truck.

Basing it on the photo alone, it looks like that mutlicab was originally just a drop-side pickup 4x4. You can see the hinges for the dropping side walls of the truck bed along the bottom edge of the cargo bed. I presume they bolted-on the hard top. If they did, then it can be unbolted to make it a truck again. The hard top on that multicab looks like a small version of the "FB" rear bodies that are typically put on "Cab and Chassis" vehicles like Mitsubishi L300. Although, the "FB" rear bodies are single units bolted directly unto the chassis and so cannot be unbolted to make a truck.

#8 LuckyMike

LuckyMike

Dalubhasa (Expert)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:14 AM

I haven't really been inside a suzuki multicab cockpit so I'm not sure if I would fit well. See, I stand 183 cm so maybe if I choose the minivan types, the seats might be adjustable. I tried driving the Daihatsu Hijet in the past when I was still practicing how to drive and it was ok. I want the pick-up this time so I could use it for business and loading stuff. L300's are best but I don't have a budget for that at the moment.

#9 torqui

torqui

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:49 AM

QUOTE (LuckyMike @ Jun 21 2011, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't really been inside a suzuki multicab cockpit so I'm not sure if I would fit well. See, I stand 183 cm so maybe if I choose the minivan types, the seats might be adjustable. I tried driving the Daihatsu Hijet in the past when I was still practicing how to drive and it was ok. I want the pick-up this time so I could use it for business and loading stuff. L300's are best but I don't have a budget for that at the moment.

Hmmm... The seats probably aren't adjustable on the pickup version. The backrest is probably up close to the rear wall already. But I think at 6 feet you'll still fit.

#10 LuckyMike

LuckyMike

Dalubhasa (Expert)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:10 AM

QUOTE (torqui @ Jun 21 2011, 06:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm... The seats probably aren't adjustable on the pickup version. The backrest is probably up close to the rear wall already. But I think at 6 feet you'll still fit.

Well I just got in the passenger's seat of one this morning. I was surprised to know that its fairly spacious.

#11 torqui

torqui

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE (LuckyMike @ Jun 21 2011, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (torqui @ Jun 21 2011, 06:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I just got in the passenger's seat of one this morning. I was surprised to know that its fairly spacious.

Passenger's seat? Just to make sure, I think you need to get in the driver's seat and see if you can get in with the steering wheel there. You need to see if the steering wheel will rub against your belly and the tops of your thighs and see if you can work the pedals and gear stick too.